This is my first blog and many more to come in the future as I venture on the quest for vegan, gluten free, and dairy free recipes for holistic healthy living. I will save the story about why I started on this dietary journey but I am glad I did because it re-kindled my long last passion for food making.
Invited few friends over last weekend and they are into healthy eating habits too, so, it took me a little bit of a time to prepare the menu. Overall kept it simple but treated them with five course meal. Started off with Asparagus soup, Salad, Zucchini Fritters as appetizers, followed it with Shepherd’s pie for main course and finally Yellow split pea coconut pudding as dessert!
Zucchini – it is a wonder vegetable nature has produced, doctors call it “Win-Win” vegetable because it is low in calories yet high in anti-inflammatory properties.
Overall this is a delectable, guilt-free (shallow fry), and no-egg recipe. Enjoy it on a summer day or any time of the year.
Let’s get to the recipe now:
- 3 medium sized zucchini – shredded
- 2 carrots – shredded
- 4-5 garlic – minced
- 1 small red onion – finely chopped
- 2-4 thai chillies – finally chopped
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- Half-cup corn flour (to substitute for eggs)
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander or parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil (I use rice-bran oil)
- Salt to taste
- First and foremost grate zucchini, toss a little salt on it and place it in strainer for 10 mins. This vegetable is a wet one hence need to strain the water out.
- Meantime, prep all the other ingredients and keep’em ready
- After 10 min, take zucchini from the strainer and start pressing down with your hands to begin draining rest of the water that is left.
- Take a big bowl, mix Zucchini, carrots, onions, garlic, chillies, herbs, black pepper and little salt.
- Next to the mixture, add in corn flour, corn starch and get it all together to a good consistency. Note: Do not use any water.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, take a scoop up around 2 Tablespoons of the zucchini mixture. Place the mixture onto the hot skillet and flatten with a spatula. Repeat with a few more, making sure not to overcrowd the skillet. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve them with either coriander chutney or garlic herb yogurt sauce.
- Tip: Prepare and serve them hot otherwise they tend to lose the crispiness.